Sunday, July 17, 2011

Look what I found

When wondering around the attic of the local Honda shop, I found a set of original C110 footpeg rubbers, no longer available from Honda directly.
Found these in a bunch of NOS parts they have.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

home made rev counter face

I made 2 different faces for my homemade rev counter, they are based on what I made for my 50 a few years ago. A standard Honda tacho with a homemade CR110 replica face.

I cleaned off all but the scale and made something modelled after some RSC tacho's I've seen on the internet:

This looked a little plain to me, so I also made something with the actual RSC logo:

These are just normal printouts for now, to get an idea of what it would look like, but now I'm not sure what to make. RSC in logo or text....what do you think?

Sunday, July 3, 2011

home made rev counter stuff

The plan: build a mechanical tacho and tach-drive onto an SS50 engine.
terms: do not use kitaco or takegawa bolt on stuff.

I started with a tach drive from a CB175, turned something on the lathe and took the teeth off of an old camshaft sprocket, this should be soldered together with silver and mounted to the camshaft.

should look like this when mounted:

The housing was cut down to remove unnecessary material and to create a hole for the bolt to go through that will hold everything onto the cylinderhead. A brass plug will be put in there with threads to accept the bolt.

One problem, on a CB175 this is on the right side of the camshaft, on the SS50 it will be on the left, so the tachocable will be turning the wrong way.

On the back of the Yamaha 600 guage unit (that I took the tach from for the RSC90) was an angle drive that I could use to reverse the rotation...

Some PVC tubing, a CB50 tach and one Yamaha drive later:

Testrun if it all works...NO?...
I looked at the angle drive the wrong way, so it doesn't actually reverse the rotation.
I will have to make something else to fit onto the modified CB175 drive and use this tacho on another bike when it is finished.
Will be painted black, alloy ring to be turned on the lathe and a piece of plexiglass to close it all up, after I've made a new face for it, probably upto 14000 RPM or a bit higher.


Today the dutch caferacer club had a meeting, so I decided to go and have a look.
It was a nice excuse to take the BMW out again and my dad came along with his Oudshoorn BMW, although not totally complete yet (notice the seat) it was a nice ride to run in this newly built 700cc engine.
The bikes before departure;

The oudshoorn looks small next to my R90/6

To see more pictures of great caferacers that attended, look at the chalopy blog Ralph was there too and took a load of pictures.

RSC engine cover

Look what came in recently.
Specially made in england by a great guy called Colin Marley.

Original next to CNC milled, I glassbeadblasted mine to match the rest of my engine, and for some extra cooling surface.
Here is what that looks like when mounted, sorry about the fuzzy picture.

Some of these will go to Australia (you know who you are) but I haven't figured out the shipping yet. There is one extra if someone would be interested.