Friday, August 24, 2012

CB72 freshened up

After last years season, the CB72 had its motor taken out because of a gearbox problem, and it pretty much sat at the end of the workbench for the whole winter.
A couple of months ago, my dad fixed the gearbox, and as we got the bike out of the corner, we did some slight modifications.
The rear wheel was swapped for one with an original hub, and a rim that matches the front. A front fender was made. (the dutch honda moped freaks might recognise it as a rare C320 fender) And the tank got some new stickers.

and the top yoke was swapped for one that has been welded shut and ground down to look like an original CYB yoke.

It is still a racebike, so it shows signs of use, but these little things just freshen the bike up a bit and make it look more like the honda's we all know from back in those days.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Kijima dress up kit for C110

Here you see my C110 Kijima dress up kit for the C110 engine I've been building.
Clutch, points and valve covers with some extra cooling capacity.

those of you who know the Kijima catalog are now questioning what this is, they are actually left side head covers for the OHC engines, modified to fit C110. Valve covers also need to be modified, or they jam against the rocker cover of a pushrod motor.
The motor I've built for Ralph also had these covers, it was his idea and I "borrowed" it for my own motor.

Didn't do much with the motor lately, as my SS motors kept givving me problems, but that is prety much over now, so I had time to spend on this little 60cc pushrod powerplant. It's almost ready now, just waiting for some special bolts and I want to do something special with the be continued.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

clutch swapping

With the SS50 race project being for sale, the chance exists I could actually sell it to someone and I didn't really want to loose the Takegawa clutch that was on that motor. So I decided to switch it over to my 110cc engine.

Now the motor is rebuilt...again... with a 5speed gearbox, Takegawa clutch updated to 4 plates with some leftover china junk.

But that meant I had to start building a new engine for the racebike.
SS50Z cases, 5speed gearbox (and a spare 4speed close ratio) clutch moved to the gearbox input shaft by using chinese parts combined with a little bit of Kitaco, 85cc piston (allowed by the SAM) on a 12v crankshaft.
I have some plans for the head, but I'm not that far yet.
yesterday I did start on something for the breather, made it out of a CL72 filler neck that will get a bung welded on the rear to attach a hose.
It looks way high now, but imagine an upswept exhaust running just underneath that.