Saturday, March 5, 2016

4 speed close ratio gearbox

Decided to take some gearboxes out, known for not being so good, S50 and S65, combine with a little SS50 and some more modern parts, and create another 4-speed close ratio.
Not as close as the racing gearbox, but nice for a spare racing engine, or any other future build.


when installed in a racing engine, I might even replace 1st for a 14/33 or 14/32 with long shaft for mounting a clutch.

Seen in the picture, the special tool for shimming the gearbox and checking if all the gears line up correctly, a must when combining things like this, as only the 4th gear shift drum really worked for this setup.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

replica CR93 parts

So busy, and forgetting to update, so here's a quick one

Original parts were borrowed, and copied 6 times.
Replica CR93 foot rest brackets, in raw form.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015


Just finished a batch of clip-ons
Needed a set for the SS50 racebike and another for one of the CB50's that has been sold, but included in that deal was a front end swap.

A bunch of steel pipes

Some more small parts added, almost ready for brazing

after brazing, cleaning and painting

The observant viewer would notice one set missing, that was already mounted to a bike.

Some details not found in modern clip-ons are the closed ends, not with a plastic or alloy bung, but full steel construction, so that after painting, it is almost invisible how the ends were closed.
Just a single 8mm bolt, instead of 2 6mm bolts, just like original CR110 clip-ons, and other Honda's from that era.

Took a lot of work, but the result are some clip-ons that look deceptively simple and yet sophisticated at the same time.

Sunday, November 8, 2015

CR lookalike

Just a preview of something I've been working on.
A Honda CB500f carburetor modified to work on a one cylinder bike and with some styling like the old CR carbs.

Still needs finishing and testing though.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

did some more casting

I had been asked to cast an oil pump cover for a Honda RS1000, from the RSC kit, originally magnesium, but as these parts are figuratively made from unobtainium, when you get hold of one, make some copies was the idea.
Also I've been working on a new model, of a CR110 top yoke with measurements for S90 / SS50 and so on.

Both have now been cast for the first time and came out pretty well, together with another CR750 shifter, RSC engine cover for dax / SS50 and some funny keychains.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

and the season is already over

End of racing season, it went so fast, I forgot to post about it...

so a quick summary of pictures, courtesy of the CRT website. and JanAw as found on the internet.

The SS50(85) behaved pretty well for a new build, some teething problems, but very quick.

The RSC90 got a fairing half way through the season, because I had a complaint of not having numbers on the side...that I didn't have for all the time I rode it. But it was the push I needed to finally start on the fairing as was planned. needs finishing, but the beginning is there.

The C110 gave some trouble too, but at the end of season I found the issue, fixed it and it was running quicker then ever.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

SS50 race bike ready for first event

My dad did a lot of work to make me an alloy fuel tank and it really finishes the bike.

Even though the tank isn't finished yet, it is ready for now. still needs some dents from construction taken out and paint, although I am liking the raw look.

What started out as a simple SS50 moped has now been modified all over and is really starting to look like a real race bike. As was the intention because I wanted this SS50 to look like it had the full RSC kit, if Honda would have ever made it for an SS50.

footpegs need to be changed and probably some more details, but for now I can enter it in "races" as my CB50 race bikes were sold and I had nothing left to ride for the 50cc class.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

SS50 progress

Slowly, things have been progressing, but now I have to hurry up and get this one going as I have no more CB50 to ride.
Want to be able to ride this SS50 this season even.

this is the current state of things.

Fuel tank is only temporary, a long narrow aluminium tank is going to be made, but that will probably take a while.

hand made front mudguard

Working on the SS50 racebike again, as my CB50 was sold.

It needed a front mudguard for several reasons
- it looks good and old Honda race bikes had mudguards
- rules say you need to have one if you don't have a fairing (fairing is for the future)
- it can function as a fork stabiliser, needed because of the single sided front brake.

For the fork stabiliser bit, the supports are made out of steel and run over the top of the mudguard as one piece, not the prettiest, but I've seen this on original (race) bikes and it is very functional. And I like things that look functional even if they are "ugly"

The start, a piece of steel bent and cut to fit between the forks and 2 pieces of tube with the ends flattened with a special tool to get those ends just like Honda used to make them. Clamped together for braising.

Braised together and 2 cable loops added, just because, if this were original, Honda might have supplied a 4LS in the RSC kit and the mudguard would have been prepared for it. I will only be using one loop with my 2LS for now.

Parts primed and screwed together in preparation for riveting.

riveted and painted silver with a little bit of clear just for a little shine, to imitate that original look and not to go overboard on the clearcoat as so many replicas these days.

Friday, July 24, 2015

another carb finished

last bits came in so I could finish this one too, now ready for the next race in Veenendaal.