Thursday, December 5, 2013

Aluminium casting

My newest project, aluminium casting.
Because all the cool parts I want on my bikes were made from sandcast alloy back in the days, and now are not, or seldom for sale anymore.
Today was the first attempt to create a casting and it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.
Still have some work to do in the form making department, but this first result makes me want to do more.

Form ready for casting, what do you think it will be:


Just poored:


just pulled the object from the sand:


And machined to fit a (somewhat modified) SS50 ignition cover:


It is a bit higher then standard, but that is to be able to mount a 12v crankshaft. And because I made a simple form for a first casting attempt.
Now to refine the process and make a few more covers before I start doing something else, like rearsets, cilinderhead covers and brakeplates.

1 comment:

  1. Where did you get the casting kit from? I would like to to this too!!

    ReplyDelete